Tuesday, July 5, 2016

4th of July and Other Happenings

Today we finally got our ID cards! I guess now that we have our personnummers and ID cards, we're basically Swedish. Now it's onto opening a bank account and then getting us signed up for SFI classes (Svenska För Invandrare).
Yesterday we celebrated the 4th of July at a fellow American's house. It was definitely not the 4th without fireworks, but we made do. The kids jumped on the trampoline and the adults sat and chatted. We had a great time.

Just the other day another mom and I were talking and she asked me if I was looking forward to working again. (Here there's basically no such thing as a stay at home mom, so they always think it's strange I may not get a job...although they do consider going to school or SFI doing something.) I told her in the states I was home with the kids (or bringing the kids to work with me) because it was just too expensive to pay for childcare and work. She was so blown away at the cost of childcare. And then she asked if we have to start saving money for college right when a baby is born. I told her, if you're smart and have the funds, yes. You start when the baby is born. That was also mind blowing to her. It's so funny to me how fascinated most Americans are of how Sweden works and we wonder HOW can they possibly function with such high taxes, while they wonder HOW we can possibly function by paying for medical insurance and college. I guess you're use to what you know.
Today we went to the kids school and met with Olivia's teacher. She speaks wonderful English, what a relief for Olivia, but she will be speaking Swedish at school to her. She seems like such a fun teacher! They go outside every day, no matter the weather. Hot, cold, rainy, snowy, windy, they are out. If the kids want to jump in mud puddles, so be it. Needless to say, she's going to need lots of clothes that stay at school!
The teacher's motto is, "You can learn how to read when you're 30, this is the age you learn to play and interact with others." This is of course so different than the states. I'm totally on board though! I think she will have a great year and have so much fun!
I need to get enrolled in class though because Olivia will be the only child that doesn't stay at school the whole day. (If you are working, looking for work, on paternity or maternity leave, or going to school, your kids are entitled to a certain amount of hours at school or daycare. After she goes to grade 1, she's all day no matter what I'm doing at home.) Not to mention, then Emmaleigh will be able to go to "preschool", or what we in the states call daycare, and that would be great for her and me.
We've really still been enjoying the beautiful weather here and getting lots of walks in and tons of visits to the parks. Here are some pictures from the last few days.























No comments:

Post a Comment